Texas Transportation Code Sec. 550.025. DUTY ON STRIKING STRUCTURE, FIXTURE, OR HIGHWAY LANDSCAPING. (a) The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a structure adjacent to a highway or a fixture or landscaping legally on or adjacent to a highway shall:
(1) take reasonable steps to locate and notify the owner or person in charge of the property of the accident and of the operator’s name and address and the registration number of the vehicle the operator was driving;
(2) if requested and available, show the operator’s driver’s license to the owner or person in charge of the property; and
(3) report the accident if required by Section 550.061.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person violates Subsection (a). An offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor, if the damage to all fixtures and landscaping is less than $200; or
(2) a Class B misdemeanor, if the damage to all fixtures and landscaping is $200 or more.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 680 (H.B. 42), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 680 (H.B. 42), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2011.
This page was last updated December 17, 2015.